Monday, July 24, 2006

I got busted drinking alone...

... or at least, I THOUGHT I was drinking alone.

Last night, I was under the impression that the Farm Boy had already left to take his kids back home. It's a 3 hour drive, round-trip.

My kids weren't home. I've been stressed. I thought it might be okay to have a drink by myself.

So, I pulled the ingredients out and put them all on the counter: Sprite Zero, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice (100% juice, not that crappy juice cocktail crap), Grenadine, and Absolut Berry Vodka (Skyy Berry is better, though). My glass was filled with ice.

I poured my ingredients into my glass... grabbed a straw to stir it all up... started to put everything back... but I wasn't quick enough. In walks Step-Daughter, who is 13... almost 14.

Step-Daughter: What are you doing?
Me: Just making something tasty.
Step-Daughter: What's that? [points to grenadine]
Me: Oh, it just adds a little cherry flavor and color to drinks. [I notice that the grenadine bottle is in front of the vodka bottle]
Step-Daughter: Oh, like what they add to make a Shirley Temple. Yeah, I know what that stuff is.
Me: Yeah, that's it. I'm just putting everything away now. I thought you guys had already left?
Step-Daughter: Nope. Not yet. [sees the vodka bottle] OOOOOH! You're making a drink with alcohol! And you were going to sit here and drink alone! You alkie! [runs outside to tell her brother and father]

Great. So now I'm an "alkie." Who drinks alone. In the eyes of an almost-14-year-old step-daughter. Gah. I did make a point of telling her that I probably drink less in a year than most people she knows drink in a day. But yeah... I'm not sure she was buying it.

9 comments:

Nessa said...

13/14 year old girls know everything. If you drank everyday, she'd never say a word.

Gabrielle said...

She's just jealous :-)

stinkypaw said...

an alkie who drinks alone - isn't it what an alkie is suppose to do?! Either way, hope you did enjoy your drink, alone or not! ;-D

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to resume my drinking-alone time...

-R- said...

That sounds really good! (the drink, not the part where you were called an alkie)

Red said...

You might want to pour yourself another drink...

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?Feed=OBR&Date=20060725&ID=5892179

JulieGong said...

"I did make a point of telling her that I probably drink less in a year than most people she knows drink in a day." That's what all the alkies say alkie...

MiMaw said...

One drink doesn't make an alkie, it's the many drinks following that 'one' drink which makes an alkie (child of an alkie knows these things). Mmmm yes that does sound good even minus the vodka.

don't call me MA'AM said...

goldennib: and the fact that she only sees me on weekends doesn't help. :-0

gabrielle: Yeah! That's what I should have said.

stinkypaw: oh, and it was mucho delicioso!

whoorl: it won't be long. That is quite a drawback to pregnancy, isn't it!?! But you'll have a nice little present for waiting all this time. :-)

-r-: it was! That is the drink that some girl concocted for me at a hockey game, and now I can't live without it. Well, okay, I CAN... I just don't want to.

red: I KNOW! I saw that! I'm going to ask our local managers what kind of effect that will have on the franchise. Scary.

julie: Eeek... I slipped. Now everyone knows my awful truth. Ha!

othur-me: yet again, another comeback that would have been great to say to her. Alas, I am not always so quick on the rebound. Meh.

mimaw: yes, even without the vodka, it's tasty. But then I couldn't be an alkie without the vodka.