AMC is showing A League of Their Own right now. This is one of my closet favorite movies. I don't know that I would admit that to people who actually know me... but it's okay in Blogland, right? (don't answer that)
Reasons to love this movie:
1. For me: I am an older sister, and my little sis and I have a similar relationship as Dottie and Kit. Except I don't have long legs. and I don't look like Geena Davis did in this movie. We both played softball, though. Their last scene together after the World Series gets me misty every time.
2. Jon Lovitz -- the guy is funnier than hell. "You know, if I had your job, I'd kill myself." -- "...didja promise the cows you'd write?" "Yeah, I'm just going home, grab a shower and shave, give the wife a little pickle-tickle, and I'm on my way." Priceless.
3. Tom Hanks in a funny role-- The "no crying in baseball" line is a classic now. Oh, and the peeing scene. Laughed my ass off the first time I saw that.
4. Marla Hooch-- the name alone is a hoot, but when you see her peer up under her baseball cap, yikes! or when she's singing "It Had To Be You" at the Bucket of Suds. Bigger Yikes! Charm school assistant: "What do you suggest?" Charm school instructor: "A lot of night games."
5. Madonna in a non-slutty role... oh, wait... scratch that.
6. Betty Spaghetti-- another good name. Oh, and SHE is Penny Marshall's daughter.
7. All the "before they were Stars stars"-- Tea Leoni, Rosie O'Donnell, Bitty Schram, and a few others that are pretty much D-Listers
8. Laverne directs, Squiggy gets a part-- David L. Lander is one of the radio sportscasters.
9. John Cusack's sister, Ann, plays Shirley Baker, the girl who can't read. "Gr - Gra - Grabb'd." "Grabbed." Her. M - mi - mil - mil - milky, milky. White, white. Milky white. Milky white bre - breasts.
10. No women played hookers, strippers, or had to get naked in this movie. Not even Madonna. ACES, baby!
Thanks to imdb.com for help with the quotes.