Thursday, November 02, 2006

Gripe O' The Day...

Yes, I have a gripe, and I know how to use it.

It's Daylight Saving Time (ON and OFF). WHY, oh why are we still practicing this evil piece of no-goodery?!? I know, I know. You can all explain to me why it was first initiated and maybe even present some justifiable case studies of why we should follow its theories. However, here's what I think:

I think it messes with my internal clock like no one's business.

I think it fools me in the fall when we're off DST into thinking that that extra hour of sleep will be oh-so-welcome and grand. In the spring, it makes me cranky knowing that I'm going to lose one more hour of my precious, luxurious sleep.

I think all the farmers I have ever met have lights on their combines/tractors (I don't know the difference, so don't ask)... and they don't need that extra hour of daylight anymore.

I think it's a waste of my time to find every non-computerized clock in the house to fall back or spring ahead (it really scares the crap out of me when I glance at that ONE clock I missed, and I seem to fall into this black hole of time warpiness... not really sure of what time it REALLY is).

I think falling back this past weekend didn't make it any easier waking up in the morning, but I sure as hell am more tired at night. In the past two days, I've been asleep before 10pm. WHA? Not cool.

End of today's gripe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I thought Daylight Saving Time was the summer season -- they extend the hours of sunlight for farmers/harvesting. I think this is actually normal time (Standard Time)! Unless I'm crazy ... highly possible.

don't call me MA'AM said...

maliavale: Yes, you're right... I just meant that I hate the whole thing. We're "OFF" DST now, and then we're back on in the spring.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry, sorry, yes, yes. I would call you ma'am here, but I can't! I must have not read close enough. Foot = mouth.

don't call me MA'AM said...

maliavale: Well, I wasn't really clear... I updated it a little bit. So thanks for pointing it out! :-) And thanks for not calling me ma'am. hahahahahah

lizgwiz said...

I could not agree with you more. My internal clock has enough to deal with as it is, what with my work day starting at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m., when no sensible system would require such a thing of a night person. The back and forth...I hate it!

Margaret Ann said...

We moved here from Hawaii (where they don't do the whole time change thing) and it is my first time in 3 years to do this--it sucks! It is dark at 5 o'clock which means that I can't pass the dog walking responsiblities off on to my husband.

Nessa said...

I'm still messed up.