Thursday, November 24, 2005

US Thanksgiving-- worth holiday status?


Today is Thanksgiving. I have a lot for which to be thankful... I do know that. But do I like this holiday? hmmmm....

  1. Only had to work three days this week; today and tomorrow are holidays at work...Thumbs WAY up!!!
  2. Getting up early today (on my day off) to start cooking my "designated" menu items... Thumbs down.
  3. Watching the traditional Thanksgiving parade while cooking... undecided. It will depend on who will be lip-syncing through their latest hit.... Thumbs sideways.
  4. The typical holiday feast will include turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, green bean casserole (yes, with the crunchy onions on top), veggie trays, cranberry sauce and/or cranberry/cream cheese dessert, pumpkin bread, banana bread, wheat rolls, pumpkin pie, some other kind of pie, and other multiple desserts. HAVING TO WATCH WHAT I EAT (see post below).... Thumbs down. :-(
  5. Knowing I can't step foot in a shopping mall tomorrow without getting trampled to the ground... Thumbs down.
  6. Knowing that every store, tv and radio commercial will be plugging Christmas non-stop from now until Dec. 25... Thumbs down.
  7. Getting together today with family who will come in from out of town.... Thumbs up.
  8. Going as a mega-family unit (somewhere around 30 people) to a movie later this evening... Thumbs up.
I'm kind of a schmoe for holidays... I get into all the cheesiness factors, and I really do enjoy getting together to remember why we're all thankful. Personally, I wish we would have multiple Thanksgivings a year, because it might help people realize how lucky they are more often. I have a roof over my head, food in my pantry, money in my bank accounts, a job that pays me way too well, and most importantly, people who I love and who actually love me back. Even when I'm crazy. So, yeah... I guess this day deserves holiday status.

To my chums in the US... Happy Thanksgiving. To my chums outside the US... have a nice Wednesday. I'll leave you with this fabulous picture to discuss.

2 comments:

JulieGong said...

This would have to be my worst nightmare EVER! Squirrels with light sabers. Wow I cringe just thinking about that!

don't call me MA'AM said...

Oh, yeah... I forgot that you have blogged about your squirrel issues. Too funny!