Friday, June 30, 2006

A Brief Friday Why Files...

WHY #1: Why do idiots insist on lighting off fireworks for a month before and a month after Independence Day? Seriously... since the first week of June, we've been hearing them, and they'll continue on until school starts mid-August. I love the 4th of July holiday, but I hate the morons who decide it's their God-given right to light off fireworks at all times of the day.

I'm not talking about the little firecrackers, sparklers, or spinny-whirling dervishes. No, I'm talking the big stuff. The illegal stuff. The big ones that make your whole house shake even though it was lit a block away. In our city, almost all fireworks are illegal to own, use, etc. But... if you live outside the city limits, you can do whatever you want. :-(

I'm really not a grump on the 4th of July... I love a good fireworks show... preferably at a show where professionals are involved. I have a cousin (second, once removed) who was in the emergency room every July 4th, because he blew off a hand or lost an eye. I'm not kidding. The nurses knew this kid by name. So, I'm not too keen on the idea of your neighborhood dumbass just lighting off everything he bought the day before.

I live on a very small cul-de-sac... only 7 houses. So the actual "street" area is pretty small. And, it's in an area that isn't within the city limits. So, it's a free-for-all during June and July. The worst culprit is the firefighter who lives on the corner. He lights off the really loud, house-shaking kind all June and July. Worse... he gives some to his 6 year old to light, too. Argggh.

The one thing I can look forward to is that I will be out of town on the 4th this year, so no neighborhood ignoramuses (ignorami??) to piss me off.

Update: Oh, and I forgot to mention that both my dogs go apeshit when they hear the fireworks. Which is like every 5 minutes. All day long. Calgon, take me away.

WHY #2: Why do I live in a state where the weather is so extreme?!?!* During the winter, it can be as cold as 10-15 degrees F below zero (-9 to -12 C) with wind chills even colder. We have ice storms, blizzards, etc. During the summer, it climbs to 100-110 F (38-43 C), with humidity levels 75% and higher. Today, it's supposed to get to 101 degrees F. And it's ONLY JUNE! What are we to expect in August? Yikes!

This concludes today's Friday Why Files.**

*The answer is simple: cost of living. I get three times the house for 1/3 the cost.

**Told ya they would be brief. I have to go shopping today to get ready for my San Diego trip, so I can't spend all day blogging. Right? RIGHT?

6 comments:

stinkypaw said...

Firemen are the worst when it comes to "playing" with fire! One of our good friend is a firefighter and he does magic on the side, last year he burned his eye brows off doing a magic trick for the guys at the station. Nuts I tell you!

You don't really know "extreme" weather change until you've live in Quebec - every winter we have lows of -25 C etc (-13 F)and in the summer we have highs of 30 C and up (86 F), which is not as hot as you guys, but I think I'd rather put up with the heat then the friggin' cold! And in Montreal especially we have serious humidity... so... I think no matter where we go, we will complain about the weather, don't you think?

Hope your shopping was good and that your upcoming trip will be even better!

Anonymous said...

Paul had a friend who lived in a certain part of Dallas where, on Mexican independence day and on July 4th, people would go out into the street and shoot guns into the air. Um. Hello? Bullets. Come. Back. Down? He always hunkered in the house and wouldn't let the dog outside at all.

We were really glad when he moved.

We live on the corner of a cul-de-sac. Cul-de-sacs are a free-for-all sort of neighborhood - a little too self-contained for its own good at times, I suppose. I'm shocked about the firefighter. Of all the people you'd think would know better!!

don't call me MA'AM said...

stinkypaw: I look at it this way... I can always put on more clothes. When it gets that cold here, I just wear a lot of wool. There's only so much you can take off during the summertime. Plus, your hair wilts and your makeup melts off your face. It sucks.

tammara: HA! That's funny. Tragic and sad, but funny. That poor dog was probably traumatized, too.

I agree about the cul-de-sacs becing too self-contained. We're all a little too close for comfort.

wire said...

Calgon?


so if i've got this right - once you leave city limits it's a free for all? kinda like international waters?

Ludicrousity said...

When I think of independance day, I think of that movie! :)

Red said...

I always wonder how much they end up paying to set off their own fireworks. Especially when the only reaction it gets is polite clapping or whooping and "I can't wait for the real ones tomorrow night."