Friday, March 02, 2007

Cabin Fever is Raging...

... aka My Children are The Biggest Ingrates on the Planet Today.

We're still stuck in our house, because snow plows have not made it to our sub-division. Big whoop. If we were stuck here for two weeks, we'd have plenty to eat. Granted, it might not be what we WANT to eat, but we'd have food, and we still have power. So, we're warm, we're not starving, and we even have cable, including On Demand. What is the problem!?!?

When I turned six, we had one of the worst blizzards in many years. My birthday party was cancelled, because we were snowed in. For DAYS. We started eating only what we needed to conserve food, just in case. Granted, I was only 6, but it was a pretty scary time.

This storm isn't all that scary to me, and I think my kids are simply too used to the comforts that have been provided for them. We haven't even been snowed in for even 48 hours yet, and they're whining and stomping around like little divas. I have cabin fever, too. I would love to be able to get out of the house, but we can't. I just want to scream at them to get over it! There have been some major tragedies due to this storm, even one that has touched some of our family, and they're upset because they can't go get chicken wings.

It's a day like this that makes me question my mothering skills. Have I brought them up this way? or is it just a by-product of their environment, their friends, their generation?

Everyone around us who has ventured out, even with 4-wheel drive, has become stuck in the snow. Then they have to spend the next couple of hours digging themselves out. The Farm Boy thinks he could take a snow blower out to the cul-de-sac and cut through all the drifts to free us and our neighbors. It would take HOURS. No thanks. Let's be patient and wait this thing out.

7 comments:

M.Amanda said...

I wouldn't worry too much. It's pretty typical for adolescents to be self-absorbed to the point of being oblivious and seeming insensitive to the suffering of others.

Also, they are safe and sound well off in their own home and cut off from the rest of the world. Even if they have watched the news, the whole situation may not seem real to them.

metalia said...

Oh, it's not you; it's the whole being cooped up thing; my brothers and I were total assholes when we got cooped up during snow days. (Growing up, I mean....not now. I think we'd be okay now. ;))

stinkypaw said...

Patience isn't most common trait of a teen if I remember correctly...

At least you have power, food and each other, what more should they ask for? ;-)

Good luck with getting out!

wire said...

By-product.

richardSandwich said...

give them a tent and tell them they have to sleep outside.

Nessa said...

It's partly because they are kids, partly because they feel no real sense of danger and partly because they are used to instant gratification. I have found gags useful in this situation; D

I hope you get out soon.

don't call me MA'AM said...

Thanks everyone... and margus, I think you might be on to something with the tent suggestion. :-)